Cheesy and creamy hashbrown casserole topped with a buttery cornflake topping. The perfect holiday breakfast!
Serving this Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole has been Christmas morning tradition for my family. It is so comforting with the flavors of cheese, butter potatoes, ham, sour cream and onion. Top it off with buttery cornflakes for some crunch.
Make it the night before
I prefer to prepare this casserole the night before, unbaked, and keep it in the fridge till the next morning. It makes breakfast the next morning have less work. As a bonus, this allows me to clean the kitchen after preparing it to wake up to a clean kitchen!
To ham or not to ham
Over the years I’ve tried many variations to this base recipe. Adding cubed ham steak is probably my favorite addition. Feel free to add ham or omit it.
My favorite potatoes to use
If you can find them, I highly recommend getting a 28 oz. bag of Alexia Crispy Seasoned Potato Puffs (see below) which have seasonings of roasted garlic, black pepper, sour cream and chives. They add a lot of good flavor!
They are slightly less than the 2lbs called for in the recipe but I use them with no other changes and it has turned out great. If you want, buy 2 bags and have some leftover to have as regular tator tots.
Looking for more breakfasts? Check these out!
- Cinnamon Roll Casserole
- Amazing Biscuits and Gravy
- Spinach Cream Cheese Quiche
- Creme Brulee French Toast
- Bursting Blueberry Muffins
- ABC Bran Muffins
- Sweet Sausage Crescent Rolls
- Strawberry Bread with Strawberry Butter
Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole with Corn Flake Topping
- 9"x13" Deep Dish Baking Pan
- 2 lbs. hashbrowns thawed *see notes
- 3/4 cup butter melted and divided into 1/2 cup and 1/4 cup
- 1 large ham steak cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 10 3/4 ounce can cream of celery soup
- 2 cups sour cream (regular or light)
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups crushed corn flakes
- Preheat oven to 350-f degrees. Lightly spray a 9″x13″ baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine thawed hash browns with 1/2 cup melted butter and all the remaining ingredients except the corn flakes. Spread into baking dish.
- Mix 1/4 cup melted butter and the crushed corn flakes together and sprinkle over top of casserole.
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour. Serve hot.