A few notes about this dinner.
First off, it is very tasty. Tender chicken is baked in a bacon, onion and mushroom sauce, with diced apple and white cheddar.
Second - I will do a few things different the next time I make this. I think a penne or similar size noodle might be preferable to a spaghetti noodle for this, as the sauce was quite thick and doesn't work that well with thin noodles.
Third - It does use a canned soup, which I know some people hate. Go ahead and make a from scratch condensed mushroom soup if you like, but personally I don't mind cream of mushroom soup. Other varities of condensed soups from a can I find pretty gross tasting, but mushroom is one I can get on board with. I used a golden mushroom which is why there is a yellow hue to the sauce in the picture, but I think next time I make this I will stick with regular ol' plain condensed mushroom.
That's all I got. Enjoy!
Country Club Chicken
Makes 4-6 servings
- 4 or 5 slices bacon
- 1 c. diced onions
- 1 carton of sliced mushrooms, about 6 ounces, cleaned
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and diced (whatever variety you prefer, golden delicious is good)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 large chicken breasts
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 (10.75 oz) cans of cream of mushroom
- 1/4 c. white wine (You can sub. chicken broth if you don't drink wine)
- 2/3 c. grated sharp white cheddar
- 1 pound of penne (or spaghetti noodles, or any other variety of noodle you like)
- extra garnish: crumbled bacon, herbs or cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 350-f. Cook the bacon and transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain. Leave the grease in the pan. Season the chicken breasts well with salt and pepper. Cook in the bacon drippings for a minute or two, or until lightly browned on each side. Transfer to a lightly sprayed large casserole dish.
2. Add the vegetable oil to the pan and saute the onions for about 3 minutes, then add the sliced mushrooms and diced apple. Saute over medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Season lightly with salt and pepper and add the crumbled bacon to the pan. Add the wine and soup, stirring to combine. Add the cheese and stir.
3. Pour the sauce over the chicken breast and bake for 30 minutes. When the chicken is almost done, prepare the noodles. Garnish with herbs of your choice, more bacon or cheese and serve.
Recipe from Kayotic.nl