I’ve made my fair share of cranberry salad recipes through out the years and this Christmas Cranberry Salad is my favorite so far. It is so creamy with a great balance of sweet and tart from the cranberries. I absolutely loved it, as did my family.
The pecans in this recipe are optional and I did end up skipping them. I think it is a mouthfeel preference but I wanted this salad to be primarily creamy and light without the crunch of nuts. I still think it would be delicious with them though. If you use the nuts please be sure to let me know what you thought!
Perfectly sweet and light, a must have on any holiday plate, whether it be for Thanksgiving, Christmas or Easter. Really any holiday or special occasion. Can you tell I love this delicious salad? Enjoy!
Note: Step one of this recipe needs to be done the day/night before you continue with step number 2.
Christmas Cranberry Marshmallow Salad
- 1 pound fresh cranberries finely ground (frozen cranberries are fine too, just let them thaw first)
- 2 cups white sugar
- 20 oz can crushed pineapple, drained
- 16 oz package miniature marshmallows you can use up to half this amount if you prefer less
- 1 cup chopped pecans optional
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream beaten stiff
- alternatively, use a 12 oz. container Cool Whip in place of the heavy whipping cream. See notes.
- Mix together the cranberries and sugar; cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, combine the cranberry mixture with the pineapple, marshmallows, pecans and stiffly whipped cream (or cool whip if you are substituting). Mix well.
- Pour into a 3 quart dish, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.