Friends, today I have here for you a wonderful recipe for a moist, spicy and sweet Pumpkin Roll. It was my first experience making a cake roll of any sort and it was easier than I expected. The result was amazing, so flavorful, tender and delicious. I would love for this recipe to become a must have for our Thanksgiving table years forward.
This Pumpkin Roll can be made ahead of time which makes it a great dessert for a holiday. You can make this a day or two before Thanksgiving and pop it in the fridge until you are ready to plate it up on a nice platter and cut it into slices for your family. I would suggest waiting to garnish it with powdered sugar until it is plating time, otherwise the powdered sugar will just melt into the cake roll and you’ll have to do it again anyways later.
Moist and spicy pumpkin cake with layers of cream cheese filling through out. Much tastier than pumpkin pie and prettier to boot.
I can’t wait to try out more cake roll recipes now that I’ve gotten the hang of how to make them. Enjoy!
Notes: I used a jelly roll pan for this that I greased with butter and I used a small sifter to evenly flour it. This is the way to go as opposed to using a cooking spray and trying to sprinkle flour on with your hands. Trust me from experience! Baking is all about taking the time to do it right, which makes a big difference. I had to add probably 3-4 minutes to my bake time to get it completely cooked through. Ovens will vary, you will need to check your cake layer and see if it needs any extra time.
Makes 8-10 servings
Print Friendly Recipe
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9×13 inch jelly roll pan or cookie sheet.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, and pumpkin pie spice. Stir in pumpkin puree, eggs, and lemon juice. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Spread the mixture evenly.
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 15 minutes.
- Lay a damp linen towel on the counter, sprinkle it with confectioner’s sugar, and turn the cake onto the towel. Carefully roll the towel up (lengthwise) with the cake in it. Place the cake-in-towel on a cooling rack and let it cool for 20 minutes.
- Make the icing: In a medium bowl, blend cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and sugar with a wooden spoon or electric mixer.
- When the cake has cooled, about 30 minutes, unroll it and spread icing onto it. Immediately re-roll (not in the towel this time), and wrap it with plastic wrap. Keep the cake refrigerated or freeze it for up to 2 weeks in aluminum foil. Cut the cake in slices just before serving.
Recipe from Allrecipes.com