Hot Bacon Dressing has got to be one of the best ways to dress a spinach salad. The tang from the vinegar is offset by the sugar, which combines oh so well with bacon and sautéed onions.
Spinach salad is taken to the next level when combined with a homemade, hot bacon dressing.
Recommended Salad Recipes
Spinach Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing Recipe
For the dressing:
- 1/2 pound bacon sliced and cooked in 1/4 cup vegetable oil (reserve bacon pieces and bacon fat drippings)
- 1/2 cup minced onions + 1 pinch salt
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar or to taste
- 1 1/2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- cracked pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup of the bacon fat drippings
- 1 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 2 tsp cold water
For the salad:
- 1 bag cleaned spinach salad
- sliced mushrooms optional
- Slice the bacon into small pieces. Cook in the vegetable oil over medium heat until crispy. Strain the oil from the bacon, reserving the bacon oil it for the dressing. Set both aside.
- In the same pan, saute the minced onions with a pinch of salt and 1 Tablespoon of the bacon oil for about 5 minutes, until golden brown. Add the garlic, saute for 1 minute.
- Add the apple cider vinegar, rice vinegar, water, and sugar. Stir. Add dijon mustard and whisk.
- Raise heat to medium high and bring to a simmer. Add in the cornstarch slurry (cornstarch that has been mixed with 2 tsp. cold water), whisking continuously. Simmer for 1 minute until thickened. Reduce heat to low and drizzle in the 1/3 cup of bacon oil. Stir well. Toss in cooked bacon. Taste for seasoning.
- Toss with the spinach and sliced mushrooms and serve.
Recipe adapted from Food Wishes.