A crunchy, savory spinach salad with a hint of sweetness from dried cranberries. This makes a wonderful main course and will use up that big bag of spinach you have in your fridge.
Bacon, toasted ramen noodles, cranberries and pecans. Lots of crunch and flavor.
Note: I have omitted salt from the dressing recipe for a few reasons. The ramen flavoring plus salty bacon I feel provides plenty of salt. If you feel that the dressing still needs salt, I would add just a small pinch at the most.
Crunchy Tossed Spinach Salad
Makes about 6-8 servings
- 8 oz. bag green leaf spinach
- 2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 6 strips bacon fried and crumbled
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or craisins
- 2 green onions, chopped -or- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- Crunchy Topping:
- 1 package chicken flavored ramen noodles (Crush the ramen noodles. The seasoning packet is used 1/2 for toasting with noodles, 1/2 for dressing)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 package chicken seasoning
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a saute pan, toast the crushed ramen noodles and pecans with the butter and 1/2 package of the chicken seasoning included in the ramen noodles. Save the remainder of the chicken seasoning for the dressing.
- For the dressing: Shake well and add to salad just before serving.
- In a large serving bowl, toss the dressed spinach and romaine with the toasted ramen mixture. Top with bacon, cranberries and green onions. Toss lightly and serve.