Moist orange quick bread studded with cranberries. Make this one the day before you plan to eat it and let it sit out overnight (covered) for the best flavor. This is the classic Ocean Spray recipe, minus the nuts as the kids prefer it that way. Enjoy!
Cranberry Orange Bread
Makes one 9x5-inch loaf
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional, I skipped)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a medium mixing bowl. Stir in orange juice, orange peel, shortening and egg. Mix until well blended. Stir in cranberries and nuts (if using). Spread evenly in loaf pan.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a rack for 15 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely. Wrap and store overnight.
Recipe from Ocean Spray.