Cayenne Chewy Gingerbread Cookies are sweet with just a hint of heat.
Christmas cookie season is upon us and today I’ve got a new chewy gingerbread cookie recipe that has perhaps a surprising ingredient- cayenne!
These sweet and spicy chewy gingerbread cookies are rolled in sparkling sugar before baking to give a pretty finish. They have all that wonderful molasses flavor with a hint of heat from cayenne pepper.
Gingerbread cookies are a long time favorite of mine. The spices are wonderfully rich and complex. I’m always on the lookout for a new and intriguing gingerbread recipe once the holiday season rolls around each year. When I spotted the recipe for these Cayenne Chewy Gingerbread Cookies, I knew I had to give them a try.
What does cayenne taste like in a cookie?
Enter the Pinch of Cayenne Gingerbread Cookies. Chewy, filled with flavorful spices and a hint of heat at the very end that makes you wonder, hmm, what is that tasty flavor? It doesn’t jump out at you boldly, it is a subtle but still noticeable taste.
What’s the difference between a gingerbread cookie and gingersnap cookies?
Gingersnap cookies are baked longer to get that crunch, or “snap” as you bite into them. Gingerbread cookies can be chewy or on the softer side.
Do the baked cookies freeze well?
Yes! After they have fully cooled, place them in a ziplock bag or tupperware and freeze. When ready to serve, allow to come to room temperature and you are all set to go.
Can I freeze the dough?
You can freeze the prepared dough in one large portion, simply double wrap it in cling wrap then freeze. To thaw, allow to sit out at room temperature for several hours.
To portion out cookie balls, scoop the dough and shape into balls. Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet, about an inch apart from each other. Freeze until solid. Transfer to a freezer Ziploc bag or Tupperware. To bake the frozen cookie balls, simply add an additional 1-2 minutes to the baking time; no need to thaw them.
Pinch of Cayenne Chewy Gingerbread Cookies
- Small Cookie Scoop (1 Tbsp.)
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper Sheets
- Stand Mixer
- 12 Tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 350-f degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar for 4 minutes until light and fluffy and pale in color. Add eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition. Add molasses and mix well.
- Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and cayenne pepper. Mix just until combined.
- Place sugar into small bowl. Roll dough into 1-inch balls and roll into sugar, coating well.
- Place on lined baking pan, two inches apart and bake for 12-14 minutes.
Recipe slightly adapted from Modern Honey.