Chewy molasses cookies rolled in a sparkling sugar to make the perfect holiday cookie!
Post holiday greetings! I tried out a few new cookie recipes this year. It was a mixed bag of awesome cookies with a few dud recipes. I’ll be sharing the great ones here at the blog.
First up are these oh so cute Sparkling Chewy Molasses Cookies, which I found at Mountain Mama Cooks. Kelley calls them the “Perfect Molasses Cookie,” and I would have to agree, they are perfect!
To get them nice and ‘sparkly,’ be sure to use coarse sugar, like the Turbinado sugar I used. If you absolutely couldn’t get your hands on some, regular sugar would work but it won’t be nearly as pretty or noticeable in the finished product. It is worth picking up a bag for this recipe. Enjoy!
Recommended Molasses Baking Recipes
Sparkling Chewy Molasses Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups regular flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- Approx 1 to 2 cups of coarse sugar I used Turbinado sugar which is a light tan color
- Preheat the oven to 350-f degrees.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together flour, cloves, cinnamon, ginger, salt and baking soda; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the oil, sugar, molasses and eggs together.
- Stir in the flour mixture and mix well.
- Shape dough into balls, or using a 1.5 Tbsp. cookie scoop, scoop out balls of dough. Roll in the coarse sugar.
- Bake on parchment lined pans for 10 minutes, taking care not to over bake. Let the cookies cool on the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to the counter. Store room temperature in a Ziploc bag or in a Tupperware container.
Sugar used for rolling the cookies is not included in the nutritional information.
Recipe from Mountain Mama Cooks