Tender snowball cookies flavored with maraschino cherries with a plump cherry surprise in the middle of each cookie then rolled in powdered sugar for a ‘snowy’ finish!
To get the best coating of powdered sugar you need to roll the cookies twice in powdered sugar. I usually roll them once and wait a few hours then roll again for a pretty top coat of the powdered sugar.
Recommended Cherry Recipes
Cherry Snowball Cookies
- Parchment Paper Sheets
- Baking Sheet
- Small Cookie Scoop (1 Tbsp.)
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 10 ounce jar maraschino cherries drained, without stems
- Additional powdered sugar for rolling
- optional: red food coloring (Wilton no-taste red concentrated icing gel works great)
- In a large bowl, cream butter and powdered sugar until light and fluffy; gradually add flour and mix well. If using food coloring gel, add this now and mix until incorporated evenly.
- Using a small cookie scoop (one Tablespoon of dough), shape dough around each cherry, forming a ball. Place 1 in. apart on parchment lined baking sheets.
- Bake at 325° for 18-20 minutes or until the bottoms are browned. Roll warm cookies in powdered sugar. Cool on wire racks. For best results, roll a second time in powdered sugar a few hours after they cookies have cooled.
Recipe from Taste of Home.