I might as well go ahead and name this week Cassie Craves Week. So far I have posted Pretty Damn Amazing Biscuits with Sausage Gravy and Cowboy Burgers with Caramelized A1 Onions. Next up is the best Broccoli Salad that I have ever tasted.
Have you ever tried the broccoli salads from the grocery store? While they may be good, they sure are expensive. It is much more economical to make your own. It is fresher, tastes better and you can make much much more of it.
The only change I made was to add about 3/4 cup dried cranberries since I like a hint of sweetness. You could use raisins instead of cranberries if you'd like, or omit the dried fruit component entirely if you prefer. Enjoy!
The Best Ever Broccoli Salad with Dried Cranberries
Makes about 8-10 servings
- 2 heads fresh broccoli (not frozen)
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese (Don’t buy the pre-grated stuff for this; buy a block and grate it yourself. The texture is much better.)
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup of dried cranberries (However much you want, you can sub raisins as well)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup sugar
1. Chop bacon into bite-sized pieces and cook to desired crispness. Drain on paper towels.
2. Chop broccoli florets into bite-size pieces. Combine broccoli, bacon, onions, cheddar cheese and dried cranberries in a large bowl.
3. In a separate bowl combine vinegar, sugar and mayonnaise. Pour over broccoli mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until serving (it’s best when made a day ahead).
Recipe slightly adapted from Cassie Craves. Sharing this recipe at the following fun link parties.