I came up with this creation for a new foodie event, the Behind the Curtain Dessert Challenge, hosted by Sheryl at Lady Behind the Curtain. Two ingredients are chosen each month and shared on a set upon reveal day. This month the ingredients that were chosen were chocolate and cherries. Yum!
What I love about this event is that you aren’t required to post each and every month. If life gets busy and you have to skip out one month, no worries and no stress, just jump back in when you are able. I’m excited to see what everyone else comes up with and many thanks to Sheryl for hosting for us. Happy Valentine’s Day!
Chocolate & Cherry Coconut Macaroons
Makes about 12 large, 24 small
Note: Larger macaroons will require a longer baking time. The time listed below is for the smaller size.
- 4 ounces semi sweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted (regular or Dutch-processed)
- 3/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups sweetened dried coconut (shredded or flaked)
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherries, chopped
- Cherry drizzle: 1/2 cup cherry chips + 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- White Chocolate drizzle: 1/2 cup white chocolate chips + 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1. In a heatproof bowl, placed over a saucepan of simmering water, melt the chocolate. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
2. Then, in a large bowl, lightly whisk the egg whites. Add the cocoa powder, sugar, salt, and vanilla extract and whisk to combine. Stir in the coconut, melted chocolate and chopped cherries, making sure the coconut is completely coated with the chocolate mixture. Cover and refrigerate for about one hour or until firm.
3. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
4. Place small mounds (a heaping tablespoons) of the batter on the parchment-lined baking sheet, spacing about two inches (5 cm) apart. Bake for about 13-15 minutes or until the macaroons are shiny and just set (If making larger macaroons add a few minutes baking time). Remove from oven and let cool on the baking sheet for about 10 minutes and then place on a wire rack to cool.
5. For garnish: Melt the chocolate or cherry chips with the vegetable oil in a heat proof bowl over a pot of simmering water, stirring constantly until melted. Transfer to a Ziploc bag and drizzle over macaroons.