4 ingredients are all that is needed for this delicious Browned Butter Alfredo. Note that this recipe is best when using freshly grated Parmesan cheese, as it melts well.
This simple but delicious side dish utilizes in browning salted butter to enhance the flavor of a creamy alfredo sauce.
This pasta makes a great side dish or could be the start of a main dish if you wanted to add roasted vegetables and/or a protein, such as cooked chicken, kielbasa, spicy sausage, etc.
As a side note, I really should have browned the butter longer to get more specks of the browned milk solids. It was still super delicious, the flecks just didn’t show up in the photos very well. Normally I would redo the pictures but unfortunately I recently joined the lactose intolerant club. ☹️
- pasta, whatever is your preferred choice
- salted butter
- heavy cream
- freshly grated Parmesan – freshly grated melts and tastes the best so it is preferred for this recipe. From the bag already shredded or from the green can might have trouble melting together well, or in the case of the green can, might not taste the best
- salt and pepper
Looking for more pasta recipes?
Browned Butter Alfredo Pasta
- 1 lb. pasta any kind
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese from the green can isn’t advised, use the fresh stuff
- salt & pepper to taste
- Bring a salted pot of water to a boil. Begin boiling the pasta.
- While the pasta is cooking, prepare the sauce. In a heavy saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Swirl pan occasionally to brown milk solids in the butter. Once butter starts to turn medium brown in color, turn heat to low and immediately pour in cream. The sauce will sizzle, but will subside as you continue to stir.
- Sprinkle in cheese, try to avoid adding it in one big pile, and continue stirring until cheese is completely melted and sauce is smooth. Taste and season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Once pasta is al dente, drain. Add cooked pasta into the warm cheese sauce and toss to coat. Serve immediately.