Well, here it is. The best banana bread recipe I’ve tried, and let me tell you, I’ve tried so, so many recipes. The perhaps unusual ingredient is the mayo, but as it is with baking, if you mentally break down this ingredient to eggs, oil, and lemon juice (or vinegar), well it makes a bit more sense.
I added a pinch of cardamom to the original recipe from Chin Deep. I love this spice in banana bread, it is my go to after trying it years back in a different banana bread recipe. I hope you give this recipe a try, it is a keeper. Enjoy!
Mayo Banana Bread (Best recipe I’ve ever tried)
Makes one loaf, about 10-12 slices
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons mayonnaise (do not sub with Miracle Whip)
- 3 large OR 4 small bananas, very ripe, mashed
- 1 and 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom
- Preheat oven to 350-f degrees. Generously butter a 9×5-inch loaf pan.
- Mix all ingredients in a large mixing bowl, just until combined and being careful not to overmix. Pour into prepared loaf pan. Bake for 55-65 minutes, until cooked through and a toothpick tester comes out with only a few crumbs on it. Cool in pan for about 20 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to continue cooling. Slice and serve warm, room temp., or chilled. After the first day I stored mine in the fridge, although I’m not sure how necessary this was, but it sure tasted great chilled.
Slightly adapted from Chin Deep.