Creamy Taco Dip is a spicy, creamy dip topped with loads of chopped vegetables and freshly shredded cheese.
One important note is that the cheese needs to be freshly grated. Pre-shredded cheese just isn’t as good. It is coated with a residue so that it doesn’t clump up in the bag which is not very pleasant to eat when it is served cold. Buy a block of cheese and shred it up. Use a food processor with a grater attachment to get this step done in seconds.
Notes: You may have to buy two bottles of taco sauce as they traditionally are a small size bottle. If you happen to not buy enough and end up short (like I did), simply add in a few shakes of hot sauce, such as Cholula.
Creamy Taco Dip
Makes about 12 servings
- 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 16 ounce (2 cups) sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups taco sauce (mild or medium, depending on how spicy you want it)
- 2 cups freshly shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce (use romaine for a deeper green color)
- 1 Roma tomato, chopped
- 1 bunch of green onions, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the softened cream cheese and sour cream with an electric mixer until smooth. Add taco sauce and mix until combined.
- Spread mixture onto a large serving dish.
- Add toppings in the following order (starting at the bottom): Lettuce, bell pepper, tomato, green onions, cheese and cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips or Fritos Scoops.
Recipe by Jam Hands.