This comforting Italian Minestrone Soup is packed with delicious flavors: cabbage, carrots and onions with beans, macaroni noodles and optional sausage or ground beef. Serve this hearty soup with crusty artisan bread and butter.
Tis the season for warm and comforting soup recipes! Today I am sharing a recipe provided by my mom for Italian Minestrone Soup.
Can I add meat?
The meat is optional in this recipe. If you’d like to add it, I would recommend browning a pound of your favorite style Italian sausage (sweet, regular or spicy) or ground beef.
Recommended Soup Recipes
Italian Minestrone Soup Recipe
- Dutch Oven
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
- 2 celery ribs chopped
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 1 can 14 ounces diced tomatoes, undrained
- 8 ounce tomato sauce
- 6 ounce tomato paste
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 15 ounces kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 15 ounces garbanzo beans rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 Tablespoon dried basil
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 cup cooked elbow macaroni drained (cook 1/2 cup dry noodles to equal 1 cup cooked)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5 shakes of cayenne
- optional: 1 lb. browned sweet Italian sausage or ground beef
- garnish: additional grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Sauté the celery, onion and garlic until tender. Add cabbage and carrots; cook and stir until crisp-tender. Stir in tomatoes, sauce, paste and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; stir in beans, parsley, basil and oregano. If using meat, add the already cooked and browned sausage or beef now. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Just before serving, stir in cooked macaroni noodles and Parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add five shakes of cayenne pepper. Top each serving with additional Parmesan cheese.
Recipe from my mom.
A few more tasty recipes for the road!