Deliciously sweet and tangy, My Childhood Favorite Sloppy Joes are topped with a slice of American cheese on a soft hamburger bun.
I forgot just how much I loved our family recipe for Sloppy Joes. I made it recently and it is one of those recipes that send you back to childhood.
A mixture of cooked ground beef, onions, bell peppers and a sweet sauce are simmered on the stove. The final product is a nice balance of sweet and tangy flavors. Top with sliced American cheese on a soft hamburger bun for a nostalgic meal.
Looking for our family favorite ground beef recipes?
- Amish Ground Beef Casserole – Cheesy and comforting
- Amish Meatloaf – Brown sugar and crushed Ritz crackers feature in this meatloaf
- Stuffed Burger Bundles – My all time favorite family recipe. Homemade stuffing is best but in a pinch boxed will do.
My Childhood Favorite Sloppy Joes
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 Tbsp. mustard yellow or any you prefer
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. white vinegar
- 3/4 c. ketchup
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. chopped green or red bell peppers
- 1/2 c. chopped celery
- 8 slices American cheese
- 8 each hamburger buns
- Cook ground beef and chopped onion. Drain fat. Add back to large pan. Add remaining ingredients. Mix. Reduce heat to low and cook 30 minutes. Serve with American cheese and soft hamburger buns.