Of the many brown bread recipes I’ve made, this one reigns supreme! Deliciously moist Boston brown bread is topped with whipped cream cheese and raspberry jam. It is truly incredible!
This the the Brown Bread recipe of my dreams. Moist, fairly dense and full of that wonderful molasses flavor. The garnishes of whipped cream cheese (or regular) with raspberry jam take this to the next level. I can’t recommend this recipe enough if you are a brown bread fan.
An alternative way to serve it is to toast it and top it with butter. Incredible.
Boston Brown Bread has been a long time favorite of mine. I’ve made a few different recipes over the years, two of which I have posted here at the site. This recipe is now my favorite and the one I will stick with going forward.
The Best Boston Brown Bread with Jam
- 9″x5″ Loaf Pan
- 2 cups whole wheat flour** see notes for using all purpose flour instead
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 Tablespoon whipped cream cheese
- 1 Tablespoon raspberry jam
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9×5 inch loaf pan, knocking out excess flour. I used a silicone pan instead which doesn't require greasing and flouring.
- In a large bowl, whisk together whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking soda, and brown sugar. Mix in molasses and buttermilk until just combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for one hour, or until done. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes then remove from pan. Cool completely before slicing.
Recipe from Boy Cheese Sandwich.