Greetings friends! Long time, no see. Life is chugging along over in my neck of the woods. I have a few low carb recipes to share with you this Summer. I hope you enjoy. First up is this really tasty Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole.
I went with cheddar cheese in this instead of the traditional Swiss as I find Swiss can be a bit overpowering in flavor. One thing I really enjoyed about this recipe is that the consistency isn’t super duper thick. The homemade low carb mushroom soup is so delicious. If you are low carbing I highly recommend it as it opens up a lot of casserole options for your meal planning.
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 cup thinly sliced deli ham
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Mushroom Cream Sauce (Makes 1 cup):
- 4 oz. canned mushrooms (You can also use fresh mushrooms)
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 tsp. chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/4 cup water
- Salt and pepper, to taste (1/4 tsp each)
- 1/2 tsp Xanthan gum, optional (Convenient to use as it thickens the soup faster without needing to reduce the liquids)
- Crunchy topping:
- 1 cup pork rind crumbs (blitz them in a food processor)
- 1 Tbsp. butter, melted
- Prepare the mushroom cream sauce: Saute the mushrooms, celery, onion and butter until soft. Add the chicken broth, cream and water, then bring to a boil. As soon as it begins to boil, reduce heat to keep it at a simmer and cook until slightly thickened. If using the Xanthan gum to thicken, sprinkle it in as the soup is simmering in stir in quickly to incorporate. Set aside.
- Prepare the chicken mixture: Mix the chicken, ham, cheddar and sour cream together in a mixing bowl.
- Prepare the crunchy topping: Mix the pork rind crumbs and melted butter together. Set aside.
- In an lightly sprayed 8×8-inch baking dish, spread the mushroom sauce over the bottom of the dish. Add the chicken mixture evenly over the soup. Sprinkle the crumb topping over the casserole.
- Bake at 350-f for about 20 minutes, or until bubbly.
Mushroom Cream Sauce recipe adapted slightly from Anna’s Kitchen, who found it at Linda’s Low Carb Menus & Recipes.