Delicious hot chocolate snowball cookies have a few surprises inside. First, they are made with hot chocolate mix, meaning you can use a plain mix or jazz things up a bit by using a flavored hot chocolate mix like peppermint.
Are you guys ready to begin Christmas baking? I know I am.
Second, they have a bit of cream cheese mixed into the dough, giving them a great flavor and texture. I tweaked the original recipe just a bit by making the cookies larger and reducing the cooking time. I like my cookies to be tender so this worked out very well. Many thanks to Melissa’s Cuisine for the recipe. Enjoy!
Hot Chocolate Snowballs
Makes 20 cookies
Print Friendly Recipe
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 3 ounces regular cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup hot chocolate mix (I used peppermint but plain works great too)
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar, plus extra for rolling
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1-3/4 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and cream cheese well. The mixture should be thick but smooth. Add hot chocolate mix, powdered sugar, and vanilla.
- Add in salt and mix for a moment. Add in flour in half cup increments and mix until incorporated. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Roll dough into walnut size balls and place 2 inches apart on a greased cookie sheet. (I used a medium cookie scoop, which holds 1.5 Tbsp. dough)
- Bake at 350-f for 14 minutes, or until firm.
- Let the cookies cool for 2 minutes before rolling in powdered sugar. Let them cool completely on a wire rack.
Recipe adapted from Melissa’s Cuisine.