One doesn’t come across too many Braunschweiger recipes these days, which is a shame as it a delicious ingredient. While you can slice it and serve it up plain on crackers, mixing it up with a bit of cream cheese and seasonings makes a lovely, smooth spread with a zippy taste.
Serve with crackers or even better, toast up some Rye bread, add softened button on top and then a thick slathering of Braunschweiger Spread on top. It is incredible. Enjoy!
Notes: Miracle Whip or mayo can be used in this recipe. I used Miracle Whip and felt that it provided an oomph to the flavor, without it being too strong.
Makes about 6 servings
Print Friendly Recipe
- 8 oz. Braunschweiger
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup Miracle Whip or mayo
- dash of: onion powder, garlic powder and worcestershire sauce, all to taste
- Serve on: toasted rye bread with butter or on crackers
- In a mixing bowl, combine the Braunschweiger, softened cream cheese and miracle whip. Using a hand mixer, beat well until thoroughly combined. Add in seasonings to taste.
- Chill to allow the flavors to develop. Serving on toasted rye bread with butter is recommended, it tasted amazing. Alternatively, serve on crackers or as a sandwich filling.
Recipe slightly adapted from The Iowa Housewife. I absolutely love this blog. It is so homey and charming. Be sure to check it out.