This Christmas I was all about the rum and eggnog flavors. I loved this wonderfully soft Rum Crinkle Cookie. They are sweet, soft and chewy, and packed full of that wonderful rum flavor.
If you are a fan of the butter rum flavoring in desserts, you will love this cookie.
Notes: I skipped rolling my cookies in the sugar just to save some time on a busy Christmas cookie baking day. They turned out delicious without it, but I’m sure they are just as good with it, too. I used a concentrated Butter Rum Oil by Lorann Oils. Keep in mind if you use a concentrated oil that they are stronger than regular rum extract. In my case they were 4 times as strong, so I had to reduce the amount down to 1/4 of what was called for.
Soft & Chewy Rum Crinkle Cookies
Makes 3 dozen
Print Friendly Recipe
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons rum or rum extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- For rolling:
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Cream together the butter and sugars until smooth and fluffy. Add the egg and rum (or extract,) and mix together until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix on low until well combined.
- Roll dough into 1 inch balls. Roll the dough balls in the sugar mixture. Chill for 30 minutes, then place dough balls on a parchment lined cookie sheet, 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes or until the tops are crackled and the edges are set.