A crunchy, savory spinach salad with a hint of sweetness from dried cranberries. This makes a wonderful main course and will use up that big bag of spinach you have in your fridge.
Bacon, toasted ramen noodles, cranberries and pecans. Lots of crunch and flavor.
Note: I have omitted salt from the dressing recipe for a few reasons. The ramen flavoring plus salty bacon I feel provides plenty of salt. If you feel that the dressing still needs salt, I would add just a small pinch at the most.
Crunchy Tossed Spinach Salad
Makes about 6-8 servings
- 8 oz. bag green leaf spinach
- 2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 6 strips bacon fried and crumbled
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or craisins
- 2 green onions, chopped -or- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- Crunchy Topping:
- 1 package chicken flavored ramen noodles (Crush the ramen noodles. The seasoning packet is used 1/2 for toasting with noodles, 1/2 for dressing)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 package chicken seasoning
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a saute pan, toast the crushed ramen noodles and pecans with the butter and 1/2 package of the chicken seasoning included in the ramen noodles. Save the remainder of the chicken seasoning for the dressing.
- For the dressing: Shake well and add to salad just before serving.
- In a large serving bowl, toss the dressed spinach and romaine with the toasted ramen mixture. Top with bacon, cranberries and green onions. Toss lightly and serve.
Recipe slightly adapted from Serenity Cove.