This recipe for Garlic Parmesan Chicken Casserole uses roughly crushed croutons for a super simple topping.
Chicken casseroles have been a comfort recipe that I enjoyed as a child and now as an adult, I enjoy making for my own family. We all have our times where we are sick of the same ol’ panko or butter cracker toppings, which makes this a lovely alternative.
Another thing I loved about this recipe was that it uses sour cream in the sauce, instead of something much thicker like cream cheese. This keeps the sauce nice and light, but still has that wonderful creamy texture and flavor. It is also the perfect recipe to use for a cooked rotisserie chicken to keep things nice and easy. Enjoy!
Garlic and Parmesan Chicken Casserole with Crunchy Crouton Topping
- 8 Inch Square Baking Pan
- 4 cups cooked chicken chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 packet of Good Seasonings Italian Dressing Mix
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese divided in half
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese The kind in the green can
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1 10.75-oz can cream of chicken soup
- 1 1/2 cups roughly crushed croutons flavor of your choice (I used garlic and cheese, you could use Caesar, Italian, garlic. etc.)
- 4 cups cooked buttered egg noodles
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly spray a 8×8-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine cooked chopped chicken, Italian dressing mix, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, and ¼ cup of shredded parmesan cheese. Spread into prepared pan.
- Combine crushed croutons and remaining parmesan cheese, both shredded and grated, and sprinkle over chicken mixture.
- Bake uncovered 30 to 40 minutes until bubbly and hot. Serve over cooked, buttered egg noodles.