Chicken Spinach and Bean Soup Recipe
Delicious and hearty Chicken, Spinach and Bean Soup. I’m not huge into beans but I loved this soup.
Serve with French bread or baguette with butter and you have a wonderful meal.
Chicken, Spinach and Bean Soup
Makes 10-12 servings
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 chicken breasts, simmer 20 minutes. Cool then shred.
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 8 carrots, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz.) red kidney beans, drained
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 quarts chicken broth or stock
- 2 Tablespoons chicken bouillon paste (Better Than Bouillon) – Optional but we thought it needed a stronger chicken flavor.
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large soup pan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil on medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and cook for 1 minute. Then add chopped red bell pepper and cook for another minute on medium-high heat. Remove vegetables from the pan.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the pan, heat it up on medium-high heat. Slice chicken into small pieces. Season chicken slices generously with paprika, oregano, basil, and salt. Saute on medium-high heat until browned on both sides. The chicken does not have to be cooked all the way through, as you will continue cooking it in the next steps.
- Return cooked onions and bell pepper to the pan. Add chopped carrots, tomatoes, red kidney beans, fresh spinach, and minced garlic. Add chicken broth and chicken bouillon paste. Add 1/2 teaspoon of oregano and 1/2 teaspoon basil. Bring to boil and then simmer for 15-20 minutes until carrots are cooked and chicken cooked through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Adapted from Julia’s Album.
Other than the occasional meal "off plan" with my husband, I try to eat low carb, so I am looking forward to your new recipes!
I have a whole bunch of recipes I'm working on posting 🙂 hope you enjoy
I am also trying to go low carb, so PLEASE, bring it on!