The best cupcakes I have ever made are these Brown Sugar Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Cookie Dough Frosting. When I saw the recipe for the frosting over at Chef In Training I pinned it immediately and began thinking of what kind of cupcake base might compliment the cookie dough best. I then came across a recipe for Brown Sugar Cupcakes at Cupcake Bakeshop.
My thought process was that chocolate chip cookies have brown sugar in them, and what better to make as a base for the frosting than a delicious brown sugar cupcake. Both components, the base and the frosting are incredibly delicious. I almost cheated and make a cake mix for the base, but I’m really glad I didn’t since the recipe for the cupcake is fantastic and well worth the extra dirty dishes and time to make it from scratch.
Note: The original recipe for the cupcakes made 12, but since the frosting recipe will frost two dozen cupcakes, I doubled the cupcake recipe to match. Feel free to cut the recipes in half if you are baking for a smaller crowd.
Brown Sugar Cupcakes
Makes 24 cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla
1. Beat butter on high until soft, about 30 seconds. Add sugar. Beat on medium-high until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beat for 30 seconds after each.
2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
3. Measure out milk and vanilla together.
4. Add about a fourth of the flour to the butter/sugar mixture and beat to combine.
5. Add about one third the milk/vanilla mixture and beat until combined.
6. Repeat above, alternating flour and milk and ending with the flour mixture.
7. Scoop into cupcake papers about half to three-quarters full.
8. Bake for 20-22 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
Cupcake recipe from Cupcake Bakeshop.
Cream Cheese Cookie Dough Frosting
Makes enough for 24 cupcakes
- 4 oz. cream cheese softened
- 5 Tbsp. butter softened
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 envelope Dream Whip
- 2 Tbsp. milk more if needed to reach desired consistency
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 cups powdered sugar more if needed to reach desired consistency
- 2/3 cup mini chocolate chips
1. Cream softened cream cheese and butter together in a large bowl. Add brown sugar, vanilla and Dream Whip and evenly beat together.
2. Add milk, flour and powdered sugar and beat to evenly incorporate until smooth. (If you need to add a little milk to thin it, feel free to do so. I prefer my frosting thick so I never needed to)
3. Stir in mini chocolate chips. Cover bowl with saran wrap and chill in the fridge for about 15 minutes.
Frosting recipe from Chef In Training.