Winter has arrived where I live up north. A few days ago it was nearly 70 degrees and today we have over a food of snow. Comforting fall flavors are the big craving around here and this delicious dinner fits the bill. Prepare pork chops and gravy however you prefer, and serve this on the side.
I try to be very prepared when I start a recipe, but for this one I had a whoopsie and had no cornbread. I subbed a white bread but I have to say, use cornbread! It is absolutely delicious in a dressing like this. The white bread was good don’t get me wrong, but it doesn’t compete with a yummy sweet cornbread. Ready for the recipe?
Apple Pecan Cornbread Dressing
Makes several servings
- 1 large pan of prepared cornbread, cooled and crumbled in a large bowl (prepare 9″x13″ pan worth of cornbread)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 cups diced onions
- 1½ cups diced celery
- 3 cups peeled, cored, and diced apple, such as Cumberland Spur or Fuji
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons dry rubbed sage
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 1½ cups toasted pecans
- 4 ½ cups reduced-sodium chicken or turkey broth
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 4 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook, 8 to 10 minutes or until crispy. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon, cool slightly, chop and set aside. Add onion, celery and apples to the skillet and sauté 1 minute. Add garlic and thyme and continue cooking for 5 minutes or until vegetables are softened.
2. Spoon onion mixture into bowl with cornbread crumbles. Stir in sage, salt, pepper, cayenne, pecans, and reserved bacon. Whisk together broth, butter, and eggs and pour over cornbread mixture, tossing until well moistened.
3. Spoon dressing into a lightly greased 11 x 15-inch (about 5 quart) baking dish and bake covered at 350°F for 30 to 35 minutes. Uncover and cook and additional 10 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Serve hot.