Deliciously sweet and a little tangy, this North Woods Inn Red Cabbage Salad copycat is the perfect side for dinner. Be sure to note that it needs to chill in the fridge so plan on making this the day before.
Clearman’s North Woods Inn restaurants in California have long made a delicious, sweet red cabbage salad. I enjoyed this salad as a child when my family would make a trip there for a special meal.
The recipe itself is super simple, BUT! You do need to start it the day before, or the morning of, at the latest. Otherwise the cabbage won’t soften properly.
I think the favorite part of the meal is the Garlic Cheese Bread. I know I’m not alone in my love for this bread! It is so delicious. Luckily I have the recipe here at the site. The secret to this spread is that butter is whipped until super fluffy and light.
A typical meal from North Woods Inn consists of a large steak, garlic cheese bread, red cabbage salad and iceberg salad with blue cheese dressing.
The blue cheese dressing recipe for the iceberg salad has long alluded me. I have seen the same recipe posted online and let me tell you from experience, most of those other recipes are not it, being way too watery and the seasoning was off.
I searched high and low to find a more accurate recipe, so be sure to check it out if you’d like the full North Woods Inn meal experience.
Copycat North Woods Inn Red Cabbage Salad
- 1/2 head red cabbage* see notes
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp Lawry’s Seasoned Salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 tsp onion powder
- Shred half of the the cabbage finely and the other half more coarsely. Place in a zip top bag or a large Tupperware container.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together vegetable oil, red wine vinegar, sugar, salt, seasoned salt, black pepper, and onion powder. Pour the dressing over the shredded cabbage.
- Refrigerate 12 hours or until cabbage turns deep red, softens a bit, and flavors meld. The longer the better, even up to a full day of chilling is great. If you can, shake it around a time or two while it is in the fridge chilling.
- Before serving, shake well and check for any last minute seasoning additions, such as more seasoned salt, etc. Serve in a large wooden salad bowl at the table for authenticity!