Pasta salads are one of my favorite side dishes. As we head into warmer weather, it's good to have a few options for side dishes to go along with your grilled brats and burgers.
This pasta salad uses a special ingredient, a spicy pickle relish we picked up at our local Walmart. If you aren't able to find this, I would suggest a traditional sweet pickle relish instead. Enjoy!
Creamy Pasta Salad with Spicy Pickle Relish
Makes about 12 servings
- 3 cups dry elbow macaroni
- 1 (15 oz.) jar mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup milk (less or more, if needed)
- 1/4 cup spicy pickle relish (I used Dave's brand, sold at Walmart)
- 6 whole green onions, sliced
- 4 oz jar diced pimentos
- 1/2 to 1 cup diced cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- optional garnish: paprika
- Set a large pot of salted water to boil. Add macaroni and reduce heat; cook according to package directions (usually 6-8 minutes). Drain and rinse under cold water to cool. Set aside and let cool completely.
- In a large bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper. Add milk, just enough to make the dressing pourable. Add the spicy pickle relish, green onions, pimentos, cheese and celery. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Add more of any ingredient you like, including relish, if desired. Chill dressing while macaroni cools.
- Add cooled macaroni to bowl with dressing and toss. Chill for at least 2 hours before serving. If desired, sprinkle with paprika before serving for a little extra color.
Adapted from The Comfort of Cooking.