Simple and delicious. Serve with fresh whipped cream or ice cream.
Ours was just a bit under baked (okay, a lot under baked). We had a timer malfunction. Really delicious even so. Many thanks to erinnish for the recipe. Enjoy!
Plum Cake Tatin
Makes about 8 servings
- For the caramel:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- For the cake:
- 8 blue plums, cut in half and pits removed (I sliced mine instead)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- Rind of half a lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place a medium saucepan on stove burner and put sugar and water into pot. Cook over medium high heat without stirring or moving pot until caramel reaches an amber color.
- Meanwhile grease a 9 inch glass pie pan liberally with butter and place on a sheet pan to catch any drips. Place plums, cut side down into pie pan crowding them in so they’ll fit. When caramel is an amber color, immediately pour over plums in dish. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350-f. Using an electric mixer cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time followed by sour cream, lemon zest and vanilla. Scrape bottom and sides of bowl with a spatula to make sure ingredients are evenly mixed.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt and add to butter mixture, mixing briefly just until flour is barely incorporated into butter mixture. Do not over mix.
- Remove bowl from mixer and finish mixing batter together using a spatula. Pour over plums and spread evenly. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until cake is done. Cool for 15 minutes on a wire rack then invert carefully onto a plate. Serve warm or cold.
Recipe from erinnish and adapted from Ina Garten.