Chewy, buttery, spicy and sweet. This recipe came from Betty Crocker and Parade.com. We loved it. Please note that you need to let the dough chill for two hours before baking so plan ahead. Enjoy!
Chewy Gingerbread Cookies
Makes 7 dozen
Note: According to Betty Crocker it makes 7 dozen. I got about 4 dozen so I must have used a bigger scoop than they did.
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp molasses, (light or dark)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp ground ginger
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 2/3 cup granulated white sugar
1. In a large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in egg and molasses. Stir in remaining ingredients except granulated sugar. Cover; refrigerate at least 2 hours.
2. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with cooking parchment paper or silicone baking mat. In small bowl, place granulated sugar. Shape dough into 1-inch balls; roll in sugar. On cookie sheets, place balls 2 inches apart.
3. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or just until set and soft in center. Cool 2 minutes; remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks. Store tightly covered up to 1 week.
Recipe from Betty Crocker and Parade.