Buttermilk pie has become a Thanksgiving tradition since we tried it for the first time last year. I tried a different recipe this year, one that added lemon zest and juice, courtesy of add a pinch. It turned out delicious. The addition of lemon really added great flavor to the pie. Looking at the photos I realize now that I didn't let it brown as much as I should have, but it still tasted wonderful.
Next year my top priority is to start making my pie crust from scratch as pre-made pie crusts tend to fall apart very easily and it can be difficult to serve up presentable slices.
Buttermilk Pie II
Makes one pie, about 8 servings
- 1 (9-inch) Pie Crust Recipe, unbaked
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ cup melted butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 350º F.
2. Mix together eggs, granulated sugar, flour, butter, buttermilk, vanilla, lemon juice, lemon zest, and salt until well-combined. Pour into the unbaked pie crust and bake for 45-50 minutes until set and golden brown.
3. Remove from the oven and allow to cool prior to slicing. Store in the refrigerator.
Recipe from add a pinch.