Long time readers may have noticed how much I love the recipes from Cassie Craves. I have made a bunch of them over the past year. The Best Ever Broccoli Salad, Cowboy Burgers with A1 Onions, Pretty Damn Amazing Biscuits and Gravy, Ranch Mac and Cheese, and Sweet Grape Salad. I'm adding a new one today with this Cheesy Sausage Penne. Many thanks, again, to Cassie for the awesome recipe.
My only change would be if I made this again to cut the cream cheese amount down by a third. It was just a tad too rich for my tastes.
Cheesy Sausage Penne
Makes about 8 servings
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 26-ounce jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 16-ounce package uncooked penne pasta
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 350-f degrees.
2. In a large skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add the onion and cook until translucent. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in spaghetti sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Taste for seasoning and add salt, pepper, and spices to taste.
3. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the cream cheese and sour cream.
4. In a greased shallow 3-quart baking dish, layer half of the pasta and sausage mixture. Dollop with half the cream cheese mixture; sprinkle with half the cheddar cheese. Repeat layers.
5. Bake, uncovered, for 30 to 35 minutes or until bubbly.
Recipe from Cassie Craves & Taste of Home