Very Chocolate Pie (Bittersweet Chocolate Pie)
Makes one pie
- For the crust:
- Pre made pie crust
- For the filling:
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups whole milk, divided
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the topping:
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- For the crust: Add the pre made pie crust to a pie plate and bake according to package directions. Set aside to cool.
- For filling: Whisk sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, and salt to blend in heavy medium saucepan. Gradually add 1/3 cup milk, whisking until smooth paste forms. Whisk in remaining milk, then 1/4 cup cream. Using flat-bottom wooden spoon or heatproof spatula, stir mixture constantly over medium heat, scraping bottom and sides of pan until pudding thickens and begins to bubble at edges, about 5 minutes. Add chocolate; stir until mixture is smooth. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Pour hot pudding into crust and spread evenly. Cool 1 hour at room temperature. Cover with a cake dome or other covering that doesn’t lay directly on the pudding; chill overnight.
- For topping: Place a metal mixing bowl and metal whisk into the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Place the sugar into the mixing bowl and add the whipping cream. Whisk just until the cream reaches stiff peaks. Store any unused portion in an airtight container for up to 10 hours. When ready to use, re-whisk for 10 to 15 seconds.
Filling recipe from Mel's Kitchen Cafe. Topping recipe from Alton Brown.