OMG Mac and Cheese
This recipe I found at Plain Chicken lives up to the name OMG Mac & Cheese. I am in love with this recipe. Now, brace yourselves, it is NOT a diet recipe. I always find it funny when people freak out over the calorie content of one recipe. Not all recipes at light, not all recipes are heavy. There is a balance out there and it is up to the individual to find it. Rant over, back to the food!
I halved this recipe and as you can see I opted for a spiral shaped pasta which I adore. My only change to the directions was that I needed to cover the mac & cheese in the oven half way through or it would become a crust and not ooey, gooey, melty. Your oven will vary though, so use your best judgement.
If your cheese goes past the melty phase and into the hard cheese crust phase like mine did, there is an easy fix. Immediately after removing from the oven and while the macaroni is still hot, stir up the macaroni well and add more shredded cheese to the top. Cover with tin foil and let sit for 5 minutes until the cheese is melted. All fixed. Enjoy!
OMG Mac and Cheese
- 16 oz elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 2 (5.2 oz) cubes of Boursin cream cheese
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar Jack cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400-f degrees. Lightly grease a 9×13-inch pan. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat cream, Boursin and cream cheese until melted over medium-low heat. Stir in salt and pepper to taste. Mix in cooked pasta, coating well.
- Pour mixture into prepared 9×13-inch pan. Top with cheddar jack cheese. Bake at 10-15 minutes, covering half way through, until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Recipe from Plain Chicken.
Looks great! I wish I had some for dinner – this mac & cheese is the best!
This really does look like "omg" mac and cheese! It looks so creamy and delicious!!! I've never used cream cheese in mac and cheese before, that sounds like a great idea!!!
Hello Ali, that Mac n Cheese looks OMG delicious!
What exactly is the Boursin cream cheese?
From Wiki: Boursin — It is a soft creamy cheese available in a variety of flavours, with a flavour and texture somewhat similar to cream cheese.
Boursin is the brand name and I found it today in the deli cheese section at the grocery store. (Publix)
I made this last night and it was delish! Can't wait to heat up the rest for dinner tonight.
Glad to hear it Jessica. Thank you so much for the feedback!