This recipe I found at Plain Chicken lives up to the name OMG Mac & Cheese. I am in love with this recipe. Now, brace yourselves, it is NOT a diet recipe. I always find it funny when people freak out over the calorie content of one recipe. Not all recipes at light, not all recipes are heavy. There is a balance out there and it is up to the individual to find it. Rant over, back to the food!
I halved this recipe and as you can see I opted for a spiral shaped pasta which I adore. My only change to the directions was that I needed to cover the mac & cheese in the oven half way through or it would become a crust and not ooey, gooey, melty. Your oven will vary though, so use your best judgement.
If your cheese goes past the melty phase and into the hard cheese crust phase like mine did, there is an easy fix. Immediately after removing from the oven and while the macaroni is still hot, stir up the macaroni well and add more shredded cheese to the top. Cover with tin foil and let sit for 5 minutes until the cheese is melted. All fixed. Enjoy!
OMG Mac and Cheese
- 16 oz elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 2 (5.2 oz) cubes of Boursin cream cheese
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar Jack cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400-f degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch pan. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat cream, Boursin and cream cheese until melted over medium-low heat. Stir in salt and pepper to taste. Mix in cooked pasta, coating well.
- Pour mixture into prepared 9x13-inch pan. Top with cheddar jack cheese. Bake at 10-15 minutes, covering half way through, until cheese is melted and bubbly.