Food braids are quite popular at the moment and I am happy to say that my first attempt at one turned out so delicious. I spied this recipe for Broccoli Cheddar Chicken Braid at Food Family & Finds. They used two cans of crescent rolls whereas I used two puff pastry sheets. I like the flavor of puff pastry more than crescent rolls but you can use whichever you prefer.
My other change was to sprinkle poppy seeds over the egg brushed puff pastry instead of fresh rosemary. Again this was more a matter of preference and using what I had on hand. Enjoy!
Broccoli Cheddar Chicken Braid
Makes one large or two medium braids
- 2 cans Pillsbury Original Crescent Rolls (alternatively I used 2 sheets of puff pastry)
- 2 cups chicken chunks, cooked
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 2 cups broccoli, frozen, steamed and chopped
- ½ cup light mayonnaise
- 1 egg yolk
- poppy seeds
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
2. On a parchment paper lined cookie sheet, spread both cans of crescents length wise to form a long rectangle. Press each of the seams to form a single layer of dough.
3. In a large bowl, combine chicken, cheese, broccoli and mayonnaise Spread mixture over the center of the croissant dough evenly to create a log.
4. Using a sharp knife, cut horizontal strips 1 inch apart down each side of the crescent dough. Fold the dough strips over the top of the chicken mixture, alternating left and right to create a braid.
5. Brush the top of the braid with a beaten egg yolk and sprinkle fresh rosemary on top.
6. Bake for 28 – 30 minutes until golden brown.
Recipe from Food Family & Finds