Normally I am not a huge fan of lots of appliances in the kitchen, but my mom picked up a little Sunbeam Donut Maker and I have to say, I love it. Having made both fried and baked donuts in the past, I prefer this appliance as it is very convenient, it cleans up quick, and most importantly it makes some damn tasty little donuts.
The recipe provided in the manual for these Chocolate Chip Donuts made tender and delicious treats that my family loved. I topped them off with a dark chocolate glaze and chocolate sprinkles. Ready for the recipe?
Chocolate Chip Donuts
- 1 1/2 c. flour
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 9 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 3/4 c. milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- chocolate glaze (recipe follows)
- chocolate sprinkles
1. Preheat donut machine. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Make a well in the center. Whisk in the butter, milk, egg and chocolate chips until the mixture forms a smooth batter.
2. Spray machine with cooking oil. Fill bases of preheated donut rings with batter. Close lid and cook for 5-6 minutes or until the donuts are golden and cooked. Use a non-stick spatula to transfer donuts to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining batter. Let cool then glaze.
- 1 c. confestioners sugar
- 1/2 c. sifted cocoa powder (I used Hershey's special dark chocolate powder)
- 2 - 3 Tbsp. milk
1. Sift confectioners sugar into a medium bowl. Stir in enough milk to make a soft, spreadable icing.
2. Drizzle over cooled donuts. Sprinkle with decorations if desired and set aside until set.