For the banana lovers! This Incredible Homemade Banana Pudding elevates ripe bananas to a luxurious pudding. Top with whipped cream and banana slices for a comforting dessert.
There is something very comforting about homemade puddings. Am I the only one who thinks so? Tapioca, rice pudding, creamy puddings, give ’em all to me. This simple yet incredibly creamy banana pudding recipe came from Jen’s Favorites Cookies and I am so grateful to add this to my families favorite desserts collection.
Incredible Homemade Banana Pudding
- 2-3 large very ripe bananas
- 1 cup milk I used 2%
- 1 cup whipping cream
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- dash salt
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Place bananas, milk, and whipping cream into a heavy saucepan over medium heat. After the milk mixture has warmed, mash the bananas. Do not boil the mixture, just slowly bring it up to a hot temperature. (Too hot too fast can scorch the milk, so patience is key.)
- In a separate small bowl, mix the sugar, cornstarch and salt together. When the milk mixture is nearly at a boil, add in the sugar mixture, stirring well to incorporate.
- In a small dish, mix the egg yolks together. Add in some of the hot milk mixture a little at a time, about 1/2 cup total, to temper the eggs. Return this mixture to the heavy saucepan.
- Bring to a gentle boil and boil for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. If making individual servings, pour into 4 ramekins, otherwise pour into one larger serving bowl.
- If you prefer to eat the pudding warm, serve immediately. Otherwise chill the pudding in the fridge, covering with plastic wrap.