Greetings friends. It has been quite some time, hasn’t it? To be frank I am not sure where to even begin, it’s been so long. I haven’t posted much at all since last Christmas. I’ve never had a blogging funk quite like this before, but I think I’m finally working my way out of it.
Tonight for dinner my family greatly enjoyed these Hot Cheesy Chicken Bacon Sandwiches. It is quick to throw together and set in the slow cooker to warm through. By dinner time you will have a warm and delicious filling for sandwiches.
In the freezer section of most grocery stores there are already baked dinner rolls and french bread rolls which only require a few minutes to warm in the oven. They are sold in a bag by the brand Rhodes and are called “Warm & Serv.” We used the soft yeast rolls tonight, brushed with a bit of melted butter before baking. The result was fantastic. I can’t rave enough about that line of products. The Artisan French Rolls are my favorite.
A note about the chicken. I used pre-cooked rotisserie chicken from Costco which is very flavorful and moist. If you bake your own chicken for this, please be careful not to over bake it and dry it out. Also, please be careful to set your Slow Cooker to “warm” and not on the low/high setting accidentally. Enjoy!
Hot Cheesy Chicken Bacon Sandwiches (Slow Cooker)
Makes 14-16 servings
- 6 cups diced, cooked chicken
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 red or orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package bacon, cut into small pieces then cooked until very crispy
- About 14-16 soft rolls
- Cut the bacon into small pieces and cook until very crispy. Set aside to drain on a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Lightly spray the inside of the Crock Pot with cooking spray. Set the cooking dial to warm.
- Combine the chicken, celery, onion, bell pepper, mayonnaise and 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese in the Crock Pot. Stir well to combine. Cover and let sit for about 3 hours, stirring once half way through.
- After three hours, add the last cup of shredded cheese and the cooked bacon to the top and recover. Let warm for another 20 minutes and serve on warm buns.
Recipe adapted from Flour On My Face.