A new favorite from this Thanksgiving was this ultra smooth pumpkin pie recipe, courtesy of CakeSpy. I’ve tried the classic recipes, like most of you have, and I was a little skeptical that this recipe would be different than the classic.
Let me tell ya, using the secret ingredient, sweetened condensed milk, makes a huge change in improving the consistency of pumpkin pie. It was perfect smooth, tasted great and it had no strange textures like a traditional pumpkin pie can sometimes have. This is our go to recipe from here on out. Please try it out and enjoy!
Notes: The original recipe calls for up to 1 teaspoon of salt, which I used. Using the full teaspoon does make the pie a little salty, but not in a bad way. I recommend using 1/2 teaspoon salt unless you like your food salty.
Secret Ingredient Ultra Smooth Pumpkin Pie
Makes one 9-inch pie
- One 9-inch pie crust, unbaked
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- One (15 ounce) can plain pumpkin puree
- One (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- Position a rack in the center of the oven; preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Roll the pie dough to a circle about 12 inches in diameter; place it into the pie pan and crimp the edges. Keep the dough refrigerated while you prepare the filling.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs; stir in the pumpkin and the sugar-and-spice mixture. Once well incorporated, stir in the sweetened condensed milk. Pour the filling into the prepared pie shell.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Bake for an additional 40 to 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack to room temperature. Serve at room temperature, or refrigerate the pie and let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving. If desired, serve topped with whipped cream.
Recipe from CakeSpy.