Chewy and sweet coconut macaroons topped with bright cherries. Festive and beautiful!
Cherry Topped Coconut Macaroons are one of my all time favorite Christmas treats. The traditional Eagle Brand recipe is used, with one change- no almond extract. In such a small treat I find the almond overpowering, and this is coming from an almond lover.
Cherry Topped Coconut Macaroons
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper Sheets
- Small Cookie Scoop (1 Tbsp.)
- 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2 large egg whites beaten stiff
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 14 ounces sweetened flaked coconut (5 1/3 cups)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 15 maraschino cherries halved
- Heat oven to 325°F. Line baking sheets with parchment. (Do not use foil, it will stick.)
- Beat the egg whites and salt until stiff. Combine sweetened condensed milk, coconut and vanilla in large bowl; mix well. Fold in beaten egg whites and salt. Chill the mixture for 30 minutes. The mixture will be moist. See notes if it is overly wet or 'soupy.'
- Use a small cookie scoop, or 2 teaspoons of mixture, drop onto prepared baking sheets. Top each macaroon with a halved cherry.
- Bake 15-17 minutes or until lightly browned around edges. Allow the macaroons to fully cool before attempting to remove from the parchment paper.
Nutritional information not guaranteed to be accurate.