I have come to realize that a lot of foods that require equal sized portions (muffins, meatballs, cookies) are made so much easier with the help of a scooper. I now have scoops in three sizes, an extra small scoop, a slightly bigger cookie scoop and a medium scoop which is the perfect size for muffins and these large meatballs. Everybody go out and buy a few scoops, I think you will love them.
Onto the meatballs. I loved these and they made the kitchen smell delicious. The sauce in particular is very tasty. I overcooked mine just by a few minutes as I wasn’t sure how long they’d take being on the large size. Please note that the cooking time is listed for large meatballs. If you make small to medium sized portions with this recipe, cut down the cooking time as recommended below. Enjoy!
Makes about 20 large meatballs
- For the meatballs:
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef, extra lean
- 7 ounces evaporated milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup saltine crackers, crushed (For me this was about 3/4 of a sleeve)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- For the sauce:
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 2 tablespoons liquid smoke flavoring
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix first 9 ingredients together and form into balls about 2 inches in diameter. Place on two 9 x 13 baking dishes, sprayed with no-stick spray. cover liberally with sauce and bake for 40 – 45 minutes or until meatballs are done. (The time depends on meatball size. If you make them much smaller, cut down the time to 30 minutes.)
- Sauce Directions: In a saucepan, mix ketchup, onion, garlic, liquid smoke, brown sugar and bring to a boil.
These look delicious!