Take what might be an average fruit side dish and jazz it up with a delicious banana cream topping. This is a wonderful side dish for the summer. It is gorgeous and so, so very tasty.
Fruit salad is elevated when topped with a delicious banana cream pudding topping.
I layered it as follows: strawberries at the bottom, followed by pineapple, green grapes, red grapes, the banana pudding mixture, topped with sliced bananas and sliced strawberries.
If you don’t add lemon juice to the bananas to prevent browning then I wouldn’t recommend putting them on top as decoration.
Note: Be sure to pick up the five ounce package of instant banana cream pudding and not the three ounce.
Fruit Trifle with Banana Cream Topping
- Large Trifle Dish
- 3 cups fresh pineapple
- 3 cups fresh strawberries
- 2-3 cups seedless green grapes
- 2-3 cups seedless red grapes
- 2-3 sliced bananas
- 1 lemon juiced (toss with sliced bananas to prevent browning)
For the topping:
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 8 oz. crushed pineapple drained a bit
- 1 5 oz. package instant banana cream pudding, dry (be sure to buy the 5 oz. pkg and not the 3 oz.)
- Layer fruit in a large bowl or trifle bowl however you prefer. Reserve some of the fruit to create a pretty design on the top.
- For the topping, whisk all topping ingredients together until well combined. Spread over the top of trifle. Arrange the reserved fruit in a design on top. Chill until ready to serve.
Nutritional information not guaranteed to be accurate.
Recipe source: Slightly adapted from Chef In Training.