The most popular recipe this Easter was this very retro appetizer, a Cheddar Pecan Ring with Strawberry Preserves. It is basically a cheese ring, but with no cream cheese, so the texture is much lighter.
I’ve actually seen this recipe in some very retro cookbooks. It is a classic and deserves to be so. It is so delicious!
Note: Use freshly grated cheddar for this recipe. It will not taste the same with pre-shredded cheese.
Cheddar Pecan Ring with Strawberry Preserves
- 1 lb. sharp cheddar cheese freshly grated (Do NOT use already shredded cheese in a bag from the grocery store)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 small onion grated
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 jar strawberry preserves small jar
For the pecans:
- Lightly toast the pecans in a dry skillet over medium heat until lightly fragrant. Let cool. Set aside 2 tablespoons of pecans for garnish.
- Grate the cheese with a box grater or food processor.
- Combine all ingredients (except strawberry jam) in a medium mixing bowl. Mix gently until thoroughly combined.
- Turn the mixture out onto a board or serving plate. Using your very clean hands, shape into a ring. Place preserves in a small bowl in the center of the ring. Sprinkle the cheese ring with the reserved pecans.
- Serve with assorted crackers. May be made ahead and refrigerated. Keeps well for a few days in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before serving.