My gosh these are delicious! Simple to make and perfect for goodie bags or on a holiday buffet table. They are a little bit time consuming to make so if possible grab a friend or family member to help. These little treats can be kept in a tupperware at room temperature or chilled in the fridge. Many thanks to The Cutting Back Kitchen for the recipe. Enjoy!
Holiday Cream Cheese Mints
Makes several dozen
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese (regular, don’t use low fat)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 pounds powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- food coloring (I used Wilton Kelly Green, Sky Blue and left the rest plain white)
- sugar, for rolling mints in
- candy mold. Alternatively you can just roll in a ball and press with a fork. (I used a very small cookie scoop to portion out the mints, then rolled by hand to ensure the mints were uniform in size.)
- Combine cream cheese and butter in a saucepan. Stir over low heat until butter is melted, cheese is soft and mixture is well combined.
- Remove from heat. Stir in the peppermint extract. Add the powdered sugar and stir until well blended.
- Divide dough in the amount of colors you want. Add food coloring and mix until you reach your desired color.
- Roll into little balls and drop in the sugar bowl. Press into a candy mold and pop out. Alternatively can roll the ball in sugar and press with the tongs of a fork. Place on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper.
- Let dry at least 4 hours, flipping halfway through so both sides dry evenly. You want the outside to dry out, but the inside will stay creamy. After they are dry store them in an airtight container or keep them in the fridge (or freezer for longer storage.)
Recipe from The Cutting Back Kitchen.