Creamy Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas
One note: The original recipe didn’t state what size baking dish to use, although it looks like a 9″x13″ from the picture. However, using the heaping 1/2 cup per serving per tortilla, I only filled up an extra deep 9″x9″ baking dish and it filled only 6 tortillas. Use your best judgement. You can make it go farther by using less filling per tortilla, or by using smaller tortillas as well.
Creamy Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas
Makes one 9″x9″ pan, about 6 large servings
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (1 teaspoon)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 can (10 ounce) Rotel, undrained
- 1 can (28 ounce) Green Chile Enchilada Sauce (I used Las Palmas brand)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 package (8 ounce) cream cheese, softened and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish if desired
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, seasoned liberally with salt and pepper, baked and diced into bite size pieces
- 2 cups shredded cheese (I used cheddar)
- 6 large flour tortillas
1. Melt the 3 tablespoons butter in a Dutch Oven over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for about 3-4 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and saute another minute or two, until fragrant. Add flour and mix; continue cooking for 2 minutes.
2. Add the rotel, green chile enchilada sauce, cumin and the ground red pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and mix in the cream cheese and cilantro. Stir until the cream cheese is melted.
3. Place the cooked and diced chicken in a medium sized bowl and add 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheese and 1 cup cream cheese enchilada sauce. Mix well.
4. Put 1 1/2 cups of the cream cheese enchilada sauce in the bottom of a large lightly greased pyrex dish.
5. Wrap tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave for about 30-45 seconds, to soften.
6. Divide the chicken mixture evenly between the tortillas (about a heaping 1/2 cup) and roll up. Place seam side down in the pyrex dish.
7. Cover with the remaining cream cheese enchilada sauce and top with the remaining shredded cheese.
8. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 35- 40 minutes until hot and bubbly. Garnish with additional minced fresh cilantro if desired.
Recipe from the Sunflower Supper Club. Linking up to the parties found here.
That looks amazing.
Thanks 🙂 It tasted amazing!
Looks so delicious!!
Thanks Heather! 🙂
Hi Ali! Thanks so much for sharing my Chicken Enchiladas. I have had the best time poking around your delicious looking blog. We are your newest followers and I'd love for you to stop back by and link up something to our Weekend Potluck. Have a terrific week!
Thank you so much for dropping by and I'm so glad to hear you are a follower now. Have a great week 🙂
Yum! I love cheesy chicken enchiladas – especially with green sauce. Looks great! Found your blog on Sweet Confessions Sunday linkup 🙂
Oh my! This looks so delicious! Thank you for sharing. Visiting from Sweet Confessions. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/08/make-it-pretty-monday-week-10.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse
Thank you Kathryn. I will be sure to check it out!
This do look very, very yummy!!!! Right up my alley!
Thank you 🙂 It was very yummy.
Love your enchiladas! Chicken enchiladas with green chile sauce is a favourite here! I must ask though, what is Rotel? I've never heard of this ingredient before.
Stopping by from Hunk of Meat Monday (#6 Beef Burgers with Bacon and Red Onion)
Amber @ The Cook's Sister
Hi Amber! Here is a link for Rotel. It is tomatoes and chilies.
It should be available in most grocery stores. 🙂
This looks delish. I like green sauce better than the traditional red sauce. I would love it if you would share this on Tout It Tuesday. http://www.claimingourspace.com/2012/08/tout-it-tuesday-19.html
Thanks! I will check out Tout It Tues 🙂
These look like great enchiladas. I have a link party on Wednesdays, and I would love it if you would link this post. It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party.
I hope to see you there. Have a great Day.
Adorned From Above
Thanks Debi! I will be sure to check it out 🙂
YUM – that looks so good, may have to get added to the menu plan!
Thanks Suzanne! I hope you try it out.
Looks delicious. Do you think it would work with con tortillas, my hubby is GF.
Betty Lou – I haven't tried it myself but I bet it would taste great. Be sure to let me know if you try it with corn tortillas 🙂
Oh yum! That does look sooo tasty!
Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
Those look so good. Found you over at Miz Helen's. I would love you to link up at my linky party on Tuesdays called The Gathering Spot. Your blog pictures are fantastic! My stomach is growling now…lol. http://mamaldiane.com/the-gathering-spot-16/
CONGRATULATIONS!!! Your recipe was chosen to be on Today's Feature Post from Cast Party Wednesday! Thank you for sharing your recipe with us! ~Sheryl @ Lady Behind The Curtain~
I looooove chicken enchiladas! I need to make these asap! thank you for sharing them at mommys sweet confessions! See you sunday
Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!