Is it getting to be too late to post pumpkin recipes? I sure hope not cause this is a really delicious one. While the original recipe called them bars, I found this more to be a cake. My reasoning was the cake was so moist that it was hard to cut it into actual bars and have them not get a little messy. Either way it is super tasty.
A quick note: I halved the recipes and baked it in a 8″x11″ pan.
Pumpkin Cranberry Cake with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
Makes a 15″x10″ pan
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree, not pie filling
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 2 8-ounce packages chilled cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 heaping tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the bars:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, mix together first 7 ingredients. Stir in pumpkin, butter, eggs & vanilla until well blended. Stir in cranberries, then spread mixture into an ungreased 15″x10″ jellyroll baking pan.
3. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
For the frosting:
1. Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter in large bowl until well blended. Beat in sugar, then orange peel and vanilla. If needed, cover and refrigerate until frosting is firm enough to spread, about 30 minutes.
Bar recipe from Food.com and Frosting recipe from Epicurious