From the menu at Johnny Carino’s:
Italian Nachos – Crispy pasta chips baked with ground Italian sausage and/or sliced grilled chicken, pepperoncini peppers, black olives, roma tomatoes and jalapenos. Topped with creamy alfredo sauce, melted mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
I think we got everything here except the black olives and tomatoes. This is so incredibly yummy.
Italian Nachos – Johnny Carino’s Copycat
- 1 Package wontons (found in the produce section), cut on the diagonal to form triangles
- 1 package ground pork, cook in a saute pan until browned
- 1 6-ounce package grilled chicken pieces (sometimes found in the salad section)
- 1 jar Pepperochini peppers (I got mild)
- Shaved Parmesan for garnish
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup sliced olives
- jalepenos (optional)
For the Cheese Sauce:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 2 1/2 cups grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, or other good-quality Parmesan
1. In a heavy, medium saucepan melt the butter over low heat. Add the garlic and then the flour and stir to combine. Cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes. Increase the heat to medium and whisk in the half-and-half little by little. Cook until thickened, about 4 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat; add 2 cups of the grated Parmesan. Season with the salt, pepper and stir until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth. Cover and set aside.
2. Heat a heavy saucepan or deep fryer to medium. Cook the wontons until light brown. This only takes a few seconds per side. Set aside on paper towels to drain.
3. Pile the wontons on a large serving platter. Drizzle with warm cheese sauce. Add sausage, chicken, tomatoes, olives and peppers. Top with shaved Parmesan.
Cheese sauce recipe by Michael Chiarello. Recipe put together by me.