Only a handful of ingredients are needed to make Ina’s Lemon Chicken with Croutons. The toasted baguette pieces soak up all of the wonderful lemon and chicken drippings.
Ina’s Lemon Chicken with Croutons
Only a handful of ingredients are needed to make Ina's Lemon Chicken with Croutons. The toasted baguette pieces soak up all of the wonderful lemon and chicken drippings.
- 4-5 lb. roasting chicken trim excess fat and remove any pinfeathers
- 1 large yellow onion sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil more if needed
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large lemons quartered
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 6 cups 3/4-inch bread cubes (1 large baguette or round boule)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Take the giblets out of the chicken and wash it inside and out. Remove any excess fat. Toss the onion with a little olive oil in a small roasting pan. Place the chicken on top and sprinkle the inside of the cavity with salt and pepper. Place the lemons inside the chicken. Pat the outside of the chicken dry with paper towels, brush it with the melted butter, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Tie the legs together with kitchen string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the chicken.
- Roast for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours, or until the juices run clear when you cut between the leg and the thigh. Cover with foil and allow to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a large sauté pan with 2 tablespoons of olive oil until very hot. Lower the heat to medium-low and sauté the bread cubes, tossing frequently, until nicely browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Add more olive oil, as needed, and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place the croutons on a serving platter. Slice the chicken and place it, plus all the pan juices, over the croutons. They will soak up all those delicious flavors. Sprinkle with salt and serve warm.
Recipe from Ina Garten
Serving: 1servingCalories: 847kcalCarbohydrates: 26gProtein: 56gFat: 56gSaturated Fat: 17gPolyunsaturated Fat: 11gMonounsaturated Fat: 24gTrans Fat: 0.2gCholesterol: 270mgSodium: 468mgPotassium: 732mgFiber: 2gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 2674IUVitamin C: 28mgCalcium: 90mgIron: 6mg
Loved this recipe?Please consider leaving a 5 star rating and share your feedback in a comment below. Thank you!